Surgery for Breast Cancer
Many factors are considered when choosing the best surgical treatment for your breast cancer. Your treatment plan is individualized to you and your specific cancer. As a breast cancer patient you should discuss these factors with your physicians. Following is a brief overview of some of the types of breast cancer surgery we offer to our patients.
- Multidisciplinary treatment planning and consultation
- Appointments coordinated with breast surgeons, medical and radiation oncologist
- Comprehensive management of breast cancer –Diagnosis through Treatment and Survivorship
- Accelerated appointments for abnormal mammogram and newly diagnosed cancer
- Management of high risk and BRCA patients, genetic counseling
- Ultrasound guided biopsies
- Breast Conservation: including lumpectomy, oncoplastic surgery (reconstruction of lumpectomy defect at the time of surgery)
- Mastectomy with or without reconstruction
- Prophylactic bilateral nipple sparing mastectomy
- Coordination of reconstruction with plastic surgeons
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Itraoperative tumor localization
- Intraperative specimen radiography
- Diognosis and management of benign breast disease
Oncoplastic Breast Surgery
Oncoplastic surgery of the breast is an innovative approach to the treatment of breast cancer. It combines the best and latest techniques in plastic surgery with the best oncologic breast surgery techniques for removal of breast cancer. The goal of oncoplastic breast surgery is to provide optimal surgical removal of the cancer along with the most favorable cosmetic outcome. At the time the cancer is removed, the defect is reconstructed from the remaining natural breast tissue.
This surgical technique also includes the correction of imbalance relative to the natural unaffected breast. It is a welcome concept to women with breast cancer who not only have to deal with the diagnosis and life changing implications of breast cancer, but also the defect of possible disfiguring surgery to their breast.
The principles of oncoplastic surgery of the breast are based on minimal scarring and producing optimal breast shape and size. It includes careful preoperative planning as part of a multidisciplinary team and a surgical plan that results in excellent cancer management with the best possible aesthetic outcome.
Physicians of Ironwood Women’s Centers
Our Breast Surgeons
- Zeynep Bostanci, MD
- Carrie Cashman, MD, FACS
- Laura Champagne, MD, FACS
- Patricia Clark, MD, FACS
- Gary Eden, DO, FACOS
- Edgar Hernandez, MD, MS, FACS
- Emily Ho, MD, MS
- Rashmi Vaidya, MD, FACS